This is a bit of a detraction from our usual style, but I came across these cookies and had to share. This is a Nordstrom recipe that a friend sent me and I altered slightly. The cookies have a light, cake-like texture that is brightened by the lemon zest. The frosting adds a sharp, citrusy zing that elevates the cookies to another level. We recommend pairing them with a nice cup of coffee :).
Lemon cream cheese cookies
Note: dough needs to made 1 day ahead of time so it can be frozen prior to baking
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 – 8oz package of cream cheese
Grated zest of 2 lemons
Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy (~2-3 minutes). Add in the egg and mix until incorporated. On low speed, add in the cream cheese until well mixed. Mix in lemon zest and juice.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Dough will be very soft – almost like a muffin batter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat and portion out ~12 balls of dough. Freeze until solid, at least 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Place dough on prepared sheets spaced roughly 2 inches apart. Let stand at room temperature while oven is preheating (~20-30 mins).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned; rotate pans halfway through baking.
- Let cool completely before icing.
Lemon buttercream frosting
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Cream butter until light. Add powdered sugar and mix until blended. Add lemon juice and mix until smooth.
Once cookies have cooled, spread icing over the top and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Original recipe for Nordstrom Lemon Ricotta Cookies